Sunday, May 25, 2008

Lost Padres of Santa Margarita


This was the first opportunity I've had to attend this ride at its current location, held for the last couple of years at the historic 14,000 acre Santa Margarita Ranch, in San Luis Obispo county. Hosted by the Nicholson family, it had started out in beautiful and historic Lockwood Valley, but the ride lost its base camp right before the 2005 event. The "Lost" from the original "Los" Padres apellation came when it temporarily moved to the location of the Eastern Mojave Scenic Ride, a January event. That particular LP was my horse's first 50 miler, a very warm affair where he endured a lot better than I did; we pulled ribbons for a section so we were at the back of the pack, heat got to me in the afternoon!

This year I didn't ride, just shot photos for the participants, in meadows, first where the backgrounds were park-like, and secondly in midday light. I have a "thing" for historic California ranchos, couldn't sign up fast enough to shoot last fall's Tejon Ranch series--the owner/operators of both of these have been such good stewards of the land, it's easy to imagine it's one hundred years ago, while waiting for riders to trot by. Old growth forests, rolling golden hills, ponds, lakes and amazing wildlife. I saw lots of deer, wild turkeys, every kind of bird--with glorious birdsong as musical score for the landscape. Thanks to John P and Patty for arranging our access to this private paradise.

Offered as a two day event, 50 miles per day or one could do "club miles" without being part of the official competition. This weekend was a scorcher throughout California, and riders carefully managed themselves and their horses to complete with their horse "fit to continue" as per the AERC ideal. Ride management made sure there was lots of water on trail. Photos are from the first day; I shot on the second morning, and somehow dropped the compact flash card while shooting head shots in ridecamp, with four dozen images of the 38 or so that had entered. Oh, well--that's never happened in 186,000 images as a pro. I imagine the cattle are prodding it with their noses, so much for "leave no trace"! I took head shots in camp, card was in my pocket, and I was squatting frequently to get the best angle. Thanks to Dave and Annie for putting on such a premier event and for feeding me too--multi-day rides are the best and with this fuel situation, definitely the most bang for the buck.

No comments: