Thursday, May 1, 2008

Grand Old Men


Today we say goodbye at 33 to the grand Arabian stallion, WN Winter Park, of Cerridwyn Arabians, one of the last *Naborr sons standing. He was both the US and Canadian National Driving Champion and Ruth has been using him in her sporthorse program. I had the privilege of photographing him in 2006. I recently heard that BonnFyre Farm's fabulous *Naborr son AZH Naborr was lost last June at 33. Both of these guys were potent into their old age.

[pictured] AZH Naborr also near dusk, photographed in late 2003, with the ole point and shoot. Winter Park at dusk, where his cataract was rather obvious.

And true to the peripatetic nature of my thoughts, here's a great place to learn about death, my friend and fellow photographer, Candace Craw-Goldman's In Respose blog.

2 comments:

InRepose said...

33! Amazing. The oldest horse I have had so far made it to 28. Do Arabians live longer than other breeds? I'd be happy to know that my girls have some genes that could take them into their 30's.

Elvis will make it that far I am certain! ;)

Lovely photos my friend, as always, and thanks for the link.

-Candace

Horseshooter said...

No more so than other horses these days that get the benefit of better nutrition, hoof care, dental care, parasite control.

My TWH, Mountain Man B lived till one month shy of 33. The Lipizzans are very long-lived and functional into old age, which was part of my decision to breed Ember to one. Donks ought live that long, for sure.

My pleasure on the link!